Freedom









Because to take away a man's
freedom of choice, even his freedom 
to make the wrong choice, is to
manipulate him as though he were a puppet and not a person 

Madeleine L' Engle

Hello my sweet readers. It has been a while since my last post. And so much has happened 
since then. I no longer live in London, yes that's right. My daughters and I are now living in Portugal, more precisley Cascais, a very charming town near the coast, we are loving it!

No it wasn't a rushed decision, or the result of something bad happening in my life, in fact the thought of moving back to Portugal never left my mind through all the years I lived in England. 

My decision to move back was based on the fact that I finally felt free. Freedom of choice, freedom to move about and do as I please. Eighteen years ago after my eldest daughter was born, I was a new mother gripped by fear of having to raise my baby on my own, the fear of being left behind overcome my best judgement and that's how I found myself moving away from home. I never realized at the time that the lack of choice would have such a big impact on all the years I lived abroad.

I was born in Angola raised in Portuagl by my grandparents who had fled from the Civil War, I am familiar with the immigrant/refugee way of life, I do understand the frustation, detachment, nostalgia and anger of leaving a life behind, although when I think about my grandparents and uncles I now realise that I never haven't understood nor grasp their feelings properly, I do know. The last thing I wanted was to live with a feeling of not belonging, and even more scaring was for my children to see the saddness inside me. As I was slowly healing and recovered from my separation I came to the conclusion that I had a choice, this time I could choose if I wanted to stay or leave, and just like that something inside me broke free. I obviously chose to come back home.

Feeling trapped for so many years was my personal hell, I had to constantly remind myself of my privileges and that my choice was not depending of the approval or validation of anyone and that my dear readers is what I call FREEDOM. 


       Thank you for reading my first post here in Portugal, I hope you like it and enjoy the pictures.
     
       Dress: Grazia 
       Location: Guincho
       Photos by : Tatiana Brito-Khan
       
       Virginia Brito XOXO



Comments

  1. Thank you for sharing this amazing journey with us :) Those who know you and love the real you couldn't be happier right now! Enjoy every second, my friend xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved it darling!!! Please keep sharing your story with all of us. Miss you a lot but at the same time, I couldn't be more happy for all of you xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts