Diversity In Fashion

 
Everything is everything
What is meant to be will be
After winter must come spring
Change, it will come eventually
                          Lauren Hill
 
Today I am writing about a controversial issue, the lack of diversity in fashion, as it is a topic that resonates deeply with me. Growing up I rarely or never came across anyone who looked like me in the pages of the fashion magazines I loved.
It is not easy, as a minority, when you do not feel represented,
your sense of self-worth becomes non-existent, especially at a young age, when you are still struggling to fit in and trying to define your identity.
 
I know now, that my own worth is not defined by magazine pages, or by others, never the less, representation is very important.
It is indeed, very refreshing to start to feel the winds of change, there's been some progress albeit very slow, there is a lot more that needs to be done, and we should start with education.
 
One of the main reasons why I was so excited to see the LIMKOKWING University Fashion Show, it's exactly because of their philosophy. LIMKOKWING is the worlds most globalized University.
They cultivate creative development by introducing to their students a learning environment with racial diversity. People need to unlearn and be educated about race.
Diversity matters and fashion is an influential force in our society, people will get the message, I am not only talking about race, and ethnicity, I am also talking about age, body shape, and gender.
This is the future of fashion, a genuine move towards inclusivity and not only a commercial ploy.
 
 
 
Thank you for reading, I hope you enjoy the photos and videos.  
 
 
 
 
 
 




















My friend Marika Rauscher, global award winning opera crossover soprano and also a lecturer, was the lovely greet and meet on the door for the fashion show.







VIRGINIA XOXO

Comments

Popular Posts